Get ready for a better-than-take-out stir fry! This meal is packed full of healthy ingredients and nutrition, while still bringing you flavor that will give delivery a run for its money. This vegetable stir fry with black rice is one of our favorite weeknight meals to make. It also makes great left-overs for lunches too. Whip this tasty meal up in your kitchen this week and it will become one of your family’s favorites as well!
I love cooking with whole, natural foods and making healthy versions of our favorite meals. This recipe fits that perfectly. We love take out, but lately we’ve been disappointed. This vegetable stir fry takes only 45 minutes, about the same as delivery! It will make your tastebuds go crazy and is actually good for you too. A win-win situation! Making your own healthy meals can be fun, easy, and delicious! Something I am all about here at Dining With De Lara. So get that cute butt of yours in the kitchen and get creative.
I used broccoli, mushrooms, bell peppers, and carrots but the great thing about stir fry is that you can adapt it to your preferences or whatever you have stocked in your fridge. I also used black rice because I felt like getting creative and I love the flavor and color, but brown rice or jasmine would work fantastic here as well. Let me know if you make this, and how you liked it by leaving a comment below!
- If you don’t want to use black rice, substitute brown or jasmine rice.
- I like to serve this with toasted sesame seeds and lime wedges, but other great options are peanuts, cashews, cilantro, or sriracha.
- Want to make it vegan? Substitute 1 tablespoon coconut sugar (or preferred sweetener) for the honey.
- 1 cup dry black rice
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 red bell pepper, sliced
- 1 large carrot, sliced
- 1 head of broccoli, chopped
- ½ white onion, diced
- 1 cup mushrooms, sliced
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- ¼ soy sauce, or liquid aminos
- ¼ cup vegetable broth
- 2 teaspoons ginger, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, diced
- juice of one lime
- 1 tablespoon honey
- ½ teaspoon crushed red pepper
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- Optional To Serve With:
- toasted sesame seeds
- lime wedges
- Place the rice and the 2 cups of vegetable broth in a pot on the stove and heat over medium high heat. Bring the rice to a boil and then simmer over medium heat for 25-30 minutes, or until all of the water has evaporated.
- While the rice cooks you can start the stir fry. Heat the oil in a large frying pan over medium high heat. Place the bell pepper, carrot, broccoli, onion, and mushrooms and cook until soft, about 15 minutes.
- While the veggies and rice are cooking away, make the sauce. Dissolve the cornstarch in a couple teaspoons of water. Mix together the dissolved cornstarch, soy sauce, veggie broth, ginger, garlic, lime, honey, red pepper, and salt. When the veggies are soft and cooked through, add the sauce and stir for a couple minutes while it thickens up.
- When the rice is done, serve in bowls with the vegetable stir fry and your favorite toppings and enjoy!