These chocolate chunk banana bread bars are definitely what you need in your life right now. It only takes one bowl and 30 minutes of baking time to make these bad boys! Soft and warm on the inside, and chocolate chunks on top, does it get any better than this?
I love banana bread but wasn’t making it very often because I didn’t have the patience to wait an hour for the bread to bake. This recipe solves this problem and cuts the cooking time in half! Rather than making a loaf, I spread my batter into a 9 inch by 13 inch baking pan and made a “bar” recipe instead. These chocolate chunk banana bread bars are everything you want banana bread to be, only you can eat them in half the time!
- I used these chocolate chips, they are amazing! They were just a few dollars at my local Sprouts market and they are larger than normal chocolate chips.
- If you like nuts in your banana bread, you can add 1/2 cup chopped walnuts or pecans to the batter before baking.
- 2 tablespoons chia seed
- ⅓ cup water
- 3 very ripe bananas, mashed
- ½ cup melted coconut oil
- ⅓ cup unsweetened, plain almond milk
- 2 cups unbleached, all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ¾ cup brown sugar
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon nutmeg
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- ¾ cup chocolate chips, or chopped chocolate
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and line a 9 inch by 13 inch baking pan with parchment paper.
- In a large mixing bowl combine the chia seeds and water and let set for about 5 minutes or until the chia seeds have turned into a thick, gelatinous mixture.
- Once the chia seeds have gelled up, add all other ingredients except the chocolate chips to the bowl and mix thoroughly until no flour streaks or chia seed clumps remain.
- Spread the banana bread batter in the baking pan, making sure it is of even thickness. Sprinkle the chocolate chips on top of the batter and place the pan in the oven.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until the top and edges are starting to brown and a toothpick stuck in the middle comes out clean.
- Let cool for a few minutes before serving. Enjoy!