Get ready for an explosion of flavor, because these spring roll bowls are powerful! They start with a bed of rice and are topped with fresh lettuce, cucumber, jalapeño, mango, herbs and a sweet chili sauce! They are an awesome way to get in some extra fruits and veggies in your meal and only take 30 minutes to make!
I love springs rolls, but I don’t always have time to cook the filling, roll them, and then fry them. This recipe is an amazing alternative and I might even prefer them like this! Crazy, right? No need to add fried food to your diet when you have recipes that are this delicious.
And because it takes only 30 minutes to make, it is awesome for those days when you don’t have a lot of time and still want to make a homemade dinner. It’s filling, tastes better than take-out, and makes awesome lunches the next day too!
- I like to top mine with roasted peanuts or cashews and if you are feeling saucy, you could also top it with this spicy peanut sauce too!
- Other additions to this bowl that would be awesome is carrots, avocado, red bell pepper, rice noodles, or brown rice.
- I used ginger, garlic, and red pepper flakes to make the sweet chili sauce but I have also subbed that for 2 teaspoons of chili garlic paste, or gochujang sauce before and it works very well! You can find them in bottles in the asian section of your local grocery store.
- 2 cups uncooked jasmine rice
- 4 cups plus 1 cup water
- ½ cup rice vinegar
- ¼ cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon red chile flakes
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh ginger
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1 head red leaf lettuce
- 2 mangos
- 2 jalapeños
- 1 large english cucumber
- 1 bunch fresh mint
- 1 bunch fresh basil
- Optional: chopped roasted nuts, such as peanuts or cashews
- In a large pot of high heat bring the rice and the 4 cups of water to boil. Reduce boil to a simmer and simmer gently with the lid on for 20 minutes, or until most of the water has been absorbed by the rice. Turn of the heat and keep the lid on to steam the rice for about 10 minutes.
- While the rice cooks you can prepare the sweet chili sauce and the vegetables. Put a small sauce pan on the stove over medium high heat. Add the 1 cup of remaining water, rice vinegar, sugar, chili flakes, ginger, and garlic and bring to a simmer. In a small bowl dissolve the cornstarch in a small amount of water and make to stir out any clumps. Add the dissolved cornstarch to the sweet chili sauce on the stove. Simmer for about 5 minutes, or until the sauce starts to thicken up. Once it has thickened a bit, remove from the heat and let cool.
- Next, wash the lettuce, mangos, jalapeños, and cucumber. Chop the lettuce, cut the cucumber and jalapeño into rounds, cut up the mangos.
- Once the rice has steamed, you can assemble the spring roll bowls. Divide the rice between 4 large bowls, add in your desired amount of lettuce, mango, jalapeño, and cucumber. Top with fresh mint and basil, and your desired amount of sweet chili sauce!