Coming at ya this week- cherry chocolate chip smoothies! With these hot summer days you need a refreshing drink to cool you off. These smoothies are not only refreshing, they also taste like a dessert! Whip up a batch of these delicious smoothies in 5 minutes using only 6 ingredients.
I am so excited to share this recipe because this is really delicious – coming from who is picky about her smoothies. It is thick, creamy, tastes like real cherries, and has little chocolate chunks in it. Sign me up, right? It is also naturally sweetened with dates, so it won’t spike your blood sugar like normal shakes and ice-cream will. Make this for yourself or your kids on a hot summer day instead of going out for ice-cream. It will be refreshing and satisfying, without all of the nasty dairy and sugar.
This cherry chocolate smoothie is a great way to satisfy your sweet tooth, while still maintaining a healthy diet. Making healthy choices daily does not have to be grueling, torturous, no fun. All you need are some solid recipes in your pocket to help fuel your body and your love of food. Let’s fall in love with real food and nourish not only our amazing bodies, but also a healthy relationship with food. It’s not hard to create delicious recipes in your own home, so give it a try starting with this smoothie!
- You can use any milk you prefer, but I like to use a can of full-fat coconut milk because it helps to make the smoothie extra thick and creamy. And no, it will not make the smoothie taste like coconut.
- If your dates are very hard and dry-feeling, you can soak them in hot water for about 15 minutes before blending to soften them up.
- Want to make it extra healthy? Substitute 1 tablespoon cacao powder for the chocolate chips.
- 1 can full-fat coconut milk
- 1 cup almond milk
- 1 cup fresh or frozen cherries, pitted
- 6 small dates
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- ⅓ cup chocolate chips
- Open up the can of coconut milk and dump the contents into a blender. Blend until it looks smooth, just a few seconds. Often times the coconut milk separates, so blending first will ensure you get a smooth milk to use in your smoothie.
- Pour out the coconut milk and reserve 1 cup. In the now empty blender add in the almond milk, cherries, dates, vanilla, and one cup of the blended coconut milk. Blend for 1 or 2 minutes, just until it runs smoothly and no chunks of ingredients remain.
- Add the chocolate chips into the smoothie and pulse a few times, or blend until the are the size you prefer.
- Pour into a couple glasses and enjoy right away!