This lemon and rosemary olive oil cake is the softest dreamiest cake I have ever eaten, you’ll never need another lemon cake recipe! It is soft, with a hint of rosemary, and topped with a simple, sweet lemon glaze. This melt-in-your-mouth cake is super easy to make and can be done in under an hour!
My lemon and rosemary olive oil cake is so soft and moist, because it includes 1/3 cup olive oil and 1 cup of yogurt. No dry, crumbly cakes here! I found a dairy-free yogurt made out of cashews and I used it in this recipe. I found it at my local store for a comparable price to regular yogurt. I love that more tasty vegan options are becoming available on the market! Since it is dairy-free this recipe is actually vegan; however, you can substitute regular yogurt no problem! Just make sure it is plain and unsweetened.
Our family makes this recipe and we pack it in our lunches, or take it with tea in the afternoon. I hope you enjoy this recipe as much as we do!
- I used plain cashew yogurt for this recipe to make it vegan. I used Forager brand yoghurt and I love it! It is super creamy and made with very simple ingredients. I am convinced it makes this recipe so delicious. Check them out!
- For The Cake:
- ⅓ cup light tasting olive oil
- ¾ cup sugar
- 1 cup unsweetened, plain yogurt (I used dairy-free cashew yoghurt)
- Juice from one medium sized lemon
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- ½ teaspoon vanilla
- ½ teaspoon chopped fresh rosemary
- 1¾ cup unbleached, all purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- For The Glaze:
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large mixing bowl whisk together the olive oil and sugar. Add the yogurt, lemon juice, lemon zest, vanilla, and rosemary and mix thoroughly. Add the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt and mix until it is thoroughly combined and no streaks of flour remain in the batter.
- Line the bottom of a 9 inch round cake pan with parchment paper and spread the batter evenly in the pan. Place the pan on the middle rack of the oven and bake for 35- 40 minutes.
- While the cake bakes, mix the powdered sugar, lemon, and vanilla until a glaze forms. You can add more powdered sugar, or more lemon juice to change the consistency of glaze until you like it.
- Test the cake when you can start smelling it, it will be done when a fork poked in the middle comes out clean.
- Run a knife along the edge of the pan to release the side of the cake. Tip the cake out onto a plate or cooling rack and drizzle the glaze over it. Serve and enjoy!