If you need some lunch inspo, then this toasted bagel veggie sandwich is for you! It is one of my favorite lunches and is loaded with hummus, roasted red bell pepper, fresh cucumbers and lettuce, and pickles. It takes only 15 minutes to prepare (because of the roasted red pepper) and is easy to customize depending on what sandwich fillings you prefer!
This sandwich has been on repeat for weeks now because it is so easy, and whatever I happen to be craving (or what I have in my fridge) goes on it. I love all of the ingredients on this bagel, the hummus is creamy and garlicky, the pepper is sweet and smoky, the veggies crisp and fresh, and the pickle gives it a bit of a zing. I mean it is tasty.
I prefer to use bagels from a bakery, rather than from the bread isle in the store because they taste amazing, they are like a whole other creature, really. But any bread will do just fine! This would be really good on french bread as well.
And it keeps well in the fridge if you want to pack it for lunch the next day! The bagel doesn’t stay quite as crispy, but I have had no complaints with making it ahead! It is a solid sandwich.
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1 bakery fresh bagel
- 1 package of your favorite hummus (recipe coming soon!)
- 1 cucumber
- 1 jar of your favorite pickles
- 1 head red leaf lettuce
- Turn on your oven's broiler to high.
- Wash and core the red bell pepper and cut it into quarters. Place them skin side up on a baking sheet and broil for about 10 minutes, or until black bubbles start to form on the surface. while the pepper is roasting, wash and slice the cucumber and lettuce. Remove from oven and let cool.
- While the roasted bell peppers are cooling, toast your bagel. If you don't have a toaster you can slice it, and pop it in the still-warm oven for a couple of minutes.
- To assemble your sandwich: take the bottom slice of bagel and spread your hummus on it. place a slice of roasted red pepper followed by cucumber slices, pickles, and lettuce. Enjoy!